ICD 10 is the 10th revision of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) and is one of the three (3) reference classifications of the WHO Family of International Classifications (WHO-FIC), prepared by the World Health Organization (WHO) and approved by the Organization’s governing bodies for international use.
ICD 10 is a medical classification list that classifies diseases and other health problems recorded on many types of health and vital records including death certificates and health records.
1: PERIOD OF TRAINING AND WORKSHOP
WHO CONDUCTS THE TRAINING?
- The ICD 10 Training & Workshop will be conducted by VIJAYAN RAGAVAN, the author of this website
- VIJAYAN RAGAVAN is a WHO-trained ICD 10 trainer
- ICD 10 training and workshops by VIJAYAN RAGAVAN have been conducted for public and private hospital participants, in Malaysia and Indonesia
- Participants included Health Information Management (HIM) / Medical Records Management (MRM) practitioners, nurses, doctors, and medical specialists
HOW LONG IS THE ICD 10 TRAINING & WORKSHOP?
- 1 workday training and workshop session
- All workdays, maximum 5 workdays training and workshop session
- 2 weeks, maximum 10 workdays training and workshop session – excluding weekend work off days
2: EXCEPTIONS TO TRAINING NEEDS
Some doctors will want intensive training on ICD-10 but some will seek “awareness training”.
NOTES ABOUT TRAINING
“Four to eight hours would be about the most that could be expected” according to the Nolan Study conducted in 2003 by the Nolan Management Consultants Company, United States of America for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association that assesses the costs, operational challenges, and potential benefits of migrating to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. Available from http://www.renolan.com/sites/default/files/icd10study_1003.pdf
Nachimson Advisors, LLC, a privately held company in Reisterstown, Maryland, Baltimore, United States of America 2008 study predicts 12 hours of doctor training in both the code set and documentation procedures. Available from,
The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) “believes most physicians would want no more than 4 hours of training” as stated in the January 2015 presentation paper – “ICD-10 Assessment The First Step to Readiness” made by Xtend Healthcare Advanced Revenue Solutions, a Revenue Cycle company based in Tennessee, United States of America, available from The Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) website. Available from,
http://www.hfmaregion11symposium.org/materials/274_t-13___ICD-10_Readiness___-Linda_Corley.pdf (Note: presentation paper and hyperlink are not available anymore currently).
- Weekend, work off days can be considered for the number of training and workshop session days; however, I believe none of the workers want to spend their weekends at a training and workshop secession
- Late evening, after workday hours, till, for example from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm to shorten the number of training and workshop days
3: WHERE IS THE ICD 10 TRAINING & WORKSHOP HELD?
Can be conducted in any country
4: WHAT ARE THE PREPARATIONS AT THE VENUE FOR THE ICD 10 TRAINING & WORKSHOP?
- any suitable room or hall in the organisation’s premises
- any suitable room or hall on a premise outside the organisation, for example at a local hotel’s facility for events
The organiser is responsible to provide:
Hall or room for the venue of the training and workshop session(s)
Projector and screen
Audio-Video (AV) equipment, if necessary
5: WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
ICD 10 isn’t just an issue for your HIM / MRM staff!
6: WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE ICD 10 TRAINING AND WORKSHOP?
- Health Information Management (HIM) / Medical Records Management (MRM) practitioners; most of the people in the coding workforce
- Nurses, if work relates to ICD 10 coding practice
- Doctors and medical specialists, if work relates to ICD 10 coding practice
- Others, if work relates to ICD 10, for example, IT staff managing the Hospital Information System (HIS)
7: WHAT TO BRING FOR THE ICD 10 TRAINING AND WORKSHOP?
PROVIDED BY PARTICIPANT
Each participant is strictly required to bring:
- the ICD 10 Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3 reference books during the whole training and workshop session(s)
- a medical dictionary
PROVIDED BY TRAINER
- Lectures in English
- Lecture notes in English
- Writing materials, including a writing pad and ball-point pen
Coders need training! Accurate coding is provided by skilled professionals who need and deserve proper training. Do not let inexperienced coders fumble around assigning ICD 10 codes.
8: WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ATTENDING THE ICD 10 TRAINING & WORKSHOP?
Remember, coding is more than numbers on documents.
Since many seasoned ICD 10 coders are likely to leave the ranks for various reasons, an influx of brand new coders will be making the coding decisions in our hospitals and for our healthcare industry. These coders are desperate for education. Many participants of my ICD 10 training and workshops have had NO previous coding instruction at all, yet they are assigning ICD 10 codes in patients’ medical records on a daily basis!
Accurate coding will mean better:
- greater efficiency and accuracy in ICD 10 coding by medical coders
- improve the accuracy of clinical decision support systems that clinicians rely on at the point of care
- deriving ICD 10 Codes for Patient Safety Indicators
- uncover opportunities for greater efficiency through performance measurement using ICD 10
- using ICD 10 codes for reimbursement and resource allocation
9: WHAT IS THE COST FOR EACH PARTICIPANT?
After the ICD 10 training and workshop, your coders will gain proficiency when they are assigning ICD 10 codes, but organisations must make sure that they have the tools they need to assign those codes properly, they will need the ICD 10 Volume 1, Volume 2 and Volume 3 reference books.
Details of the total cost for the training and workshop session will be calculated and quoted to the organiser based on:
- number of training and workshop days
- cost per hour for training and workshop hour
- all related costs
Click on the image below to view the advertisement for my ICD 10 Training and Workshop services.